Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Step 7: Humility (Part 2)

These are the quotes I love from step 7 (all located on page 41). They are really powerful and teach different messages about humility. 

These quotes were kind of a pick-me-up for today.

I just love step 7 because it reminds me what I need to do to turn myself over to God. I don't really know what to write, other than just sharing these quotes. I hope, as you read them, your heart will be touched like mine was. I have tried to write my feelings and thoughts about what I read, but I just can't put it to words. So, I'll let the Spirit do the talking on this.

"Step 7 represented for each of us such total surrender to the Savior, that many of us could not help but cry out in our hearts, as Alma did, 'O Jesus, thou Son of God, have mercy on me.'"

"Holding nothing back, we pled with the Father that He, in His infinite mercy, would forgive us for all our pride, transgressions, and shortcomings. We asked that He would grant us grace, that through Him we might maintain this new way of life." I know. It's kind of weird to read this because you think, well, I'm not the one with the addiction. But, I do have my pride and shortcomings. I do need help overcoming them and becoming new. I want to want to not be mad at my husband all the time. I have done so good lately, but I have felt the darkness and anger creeping in. I want to rid myself of the desire to just be mad. To do that, I need God's grace.

". . . we are all beggars before God and have no hope of salvation by our own efforts but only through the mercy and grace of Jesus Christ."

"All mankind were lost; and behold, they would have been endlessly lost were it not that God redeemed His people from their lost and fallen state."

"We had to learn to accept life on God's terms and wait upon His purposes and His timing--even in the removal of our shortcomings." This statement always gets to me. I was thinking a lot about this on my way to work, actually. Obviously, my husband made a choice in his past that very much impacts our lives now. I think God could change my husband. Somehow. I really think God could change him. But, that would take away my husband's agency. It would take away his ability to learn and grow. I think at this point, there is still so much for both my husband and me to learn. God sees that. He will strengthen us and help us, but He won't remove my husband's addiction because he needs it to grow. And so do I.

"We learned to live with the same humility and patience that Alma and his brethren showed when their burdens were lightened but not removed."

". . . God desires us to conquer our weaknesses in this life by coming to Christ and being perfected in Him."

". . . salvation does not come by our own power, but by His."

". . . His suffering, not yours, ensures your redemption from sin. Your sacrifice is only a reminder of His 'great and last sacrifice' on your behalf." I love this. My suffering is only a small peek at what my Savior suffered for me. My small sufferings help me appreciate the Savior more and grow to love Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment