Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Refiner's Fire

Watch this great video.


I have so many thoughts, but I'll spare you [most of] mine and let you ponder the meaning of this message for yourself. The only thing I really feel the need to say is that it reminded me of something someone said at group on Sunday:

During the sharing portion of the meeting, a woman sitting by me said she is realizing that one of the ways our trials brings us closer to Christ is because our trials allow us to succor others. Alma 7:12 states that Christ took upon Himself all of our infirmities so He would know how to succor us in our trials. What better way to come unto Christ than to feel the pain of our sufferings and to be able to use that pain to lift others up just as Christ does? 

Trials are hard, but they are necessary for the refining that can shape us into people of Christ. With every trial, we have a choice. We can choose to draw away from or closer to Christ. Sometimes, out of bitterness and anger, I choose to step away. But I almost always turn that around and move towards Christ. I know He is my salvation, and I know that only through Him will I find peace in this life. 

Trials are necessary to helping us discover the best traits within ourselves. All the good in my life has come from all the hard I've faced in my trials. As much as I sometimes wish my trials away, I don't ever truly with them away because I know with every trial I face I am being shaped into someone better.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Kilee! It's amazing that I've been working on a talk for this Sunday, and had just decided yesterday to narrow it down to talking about the refiner's fire. Then seeing that Mormon Message today, and your post...it feels so clear to me now that this is what I need to speak on, so thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! It's amazing how the Spirit can lead us to certain things at certain times. I hope your talk goes well! I'm sure it will :)

      Delete